Type 1 diabetes ( that results from absolute insulin deficiency) can not be reversed however Type 2 Diabetes can be reversed in selected cases.
Some tips for Diabetes reversal and/or keeping Diabetes in control.
1. Think Whole & mostly Plant based Look for 100% whole wheat flour instead of refined flour or maida and breads. Substitute wheat with other whole grains like oats, sorghum and barley. Make the switch simple. Millets are a great alternative as well.
2. Increase fibre intake- Aim for at least 8 grams of fiber per meal, especially when you eat carbohydrate-rich foods. It will help manage your blood sugar, keep you feeling full, and be good for your heart health.
Fruits like apples, pears, berries, and citrus
Vegetables like sweet potatoes,broccoli, carrots, and beets, leafy greens, mushrooms.
3. Consume healthy fats Good Fat Monounsaturated — nuts, avocados, olive oil, and canola oil — can help lower your blood sugar. Just avoid huge portions so you don’t take in too many calories.
4. Intermittent fasting is great as in this you limit the window time of eating rather than the type of food. However it does not suit everyone and small frequent meals work just as fine if you watch what & how much you eat.
5. Exercise everyday 150min/week of moderate intensity exercise is the minimum recommendation.
Try brisk walking for 10 minutes thrice a day if one full hour at a time appears tedious.
6. *Muscle strengthening or resistance training exercises * especially under supervision of a trainer goes a long way in maintenance of weight and reduction of insulin resistance. Make a schedule for 2-3 days a week of strength training.
7. Think Plant Fat Make canola oil or olive oil your go-to ingredients. Both are rich in monounsaturated fat. Canola oil also has heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
8. Lose weight Losing weight has by far the greatest advantage for diabetes reversal. Losing 5-15% of body weight improves blood glucose levels.
9 Outsmart Your Drink Watch the calories, sugar, and alcohol. Completely avoid sweetened beverages, fruit juices, drinks with added sugars.
10. Reduce stress
Chronic stress increases stress hormones like cortisol that antagonise insulin and worsen diabetes and increase abdominal fat.
11. Sleep well Hit the bed at the same time each day. sound sleep for 7-8hours a day lowers stress, improves digestion , heart health, hepa lose weight and improves blood glucose levels.
All these actions need to be taken on a long term basis. Lifestyle changes need to be lifelong for sustainable improvement of blood glucose levels.